Director of Congressional Affairs
About American Promise
American Promise is committed to the success of the American experiment in human freedom and self-government.
American Promise is leading a fast-growing, service-oriented national campaign to pass and ratify the For Our Freedom Constitutional Amendment focused on “reducing money in politics” – now a top issue for almost all Americans, regardless of party or political preference. American Promise is expanding its tested state-based strategy to unite Americans to solve this urgent crisis.
The For Our Freedom Amendment will strengthen free speech rights for all Americans, protect elections from foreign influence and systemic corruption, restore the relationship of elected representatives to their constituents and the interests of their States and districts, strengthen federalism by enabling the States to decide what works best, and reverse the collapse in civic trust that is eroding freedom.
Our staff, board, Advisory Council, thousands of supporters and millions of Americans who have participated in American Promise campaigns come from across the political spectrum. We are Republicans, Democrats and Independents; Navy Admirals, Army Colonels, and combat veterans; experienced politicians from both major parties who have served in the Senate, the House, as Governor, and State legislators; faith and civic and business leaders; rising generation leaders who are tired of our broken system; law professors, former US and State Supreme Court Justices, experienced lawyers and ordinary citizens.
Our campaign focuses on building deep, cross-partisan support in the States. We will then leverage that support to earn the required two-thirds vote in Congress and subsequent ratification in three-quarters of the States. To date, 22 States and nearly 1000 cities, towns and counties have enacted resolutions calling on Congress to pass the For Our Freedom Amendment and return it to the States for ratification.
American Promise seeks an experienced, strategic professional to serve as the Director of Congressional Affairs to develop and drive federal strategy and communications to accelerate passage and ratification of the For Our Freedom Amendment.
In Congress, support for the amendment first accelerated among Democrats. American Promise is focused on enabling Republicans in Congress to likewise have an effective constitutional solution to what two-thirds of Americans identify as the number one threat to our Republic, thus enabling a successful two-thirds vote in Congress. This work will be the focus of the Director of Congressional Affairs, who will report to the Executive Director and work in close collaboration with the States Director.
The Director of Congressional Affairs will represent American Promise in Congress and Washington, D.C., and build and make the case to federal lawmakers, focusing on earning cross-partisan, committed support. The Director will expand American Promise’s profile, recognition and thought leadership among opinion leaders, think tanks and NGOs, trade associations, and media.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator and advocate, brings strong relationships with elected officials and staff and a passionate commitment to the mission, values and objectives of American Promise.
This is an incredible opportunity to make history at a critical time for America.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Develop and execute American Promise’s strategy in Congress and Washington, D.C.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and States Director to align national, states, civic and programs strategy with American Promise’s objectives in Congress
- Inform and contribute to state and in-district strategies that advance the whip count in Congress
- Lead lobbying efforts and strategies to advance American Promise’s mission
- Build and deepen American Promise’s relationships, awareness and support for our mission among federal lawmakers and staffs, national opinion leaders, media, think-tanks and NGOs, trade associations and others
- Develop partnerships with national organizations across the political spectrum that share American Promise’s goal and ensure collaborative communication with groups
- Assists the Development Director and staff in attracting supporters and investors to advance American Promise fundraising programs
Key Qualifications and Attributes
- A passionate commitment to the American Promise mission, goal, and values
- 10+ years of related, progressively responsible work experience
- Relationships with federal decision makers and their staffs, as well as potential allies
- Experience advocating on Capitol Hill
- Strategic planning skills, including an understanding of communications, political and policy elements and the ability to develop multi-year plans
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with stakeholders
- Excellent political acumen and judgment
- Collaborative leadership style and commitment to teamwork
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment
- Ability to work with elected officials from both political parties and differing ideologies
- Integrity, excellent judgment, leadership, adaptability, and reliability
Compensation and Benefits
- $150K-$175K, commensurate with experience
- Paid 4 weeks vacation, 13 holidays and personal/sick days
- Health insurance (medical/dental/vision)
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for pre-tax health and dependent care benefits
- Professional development opportunities
- Passionate, inclusive and collaborative work environment
American Promise staff are located all over the country. This position is in Washington, DC.
To apply for this position, submit a resume and cover letter online at email@example.com with “Director of Congressional Affairs” in the subject line. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
American Promise celebrates the freedom and diversity of our nation. American Promise team members are service-oriented and have demonstrated experience in military, civic, or other forms of service to the country and our people. We welcome all qualified applicants who reflect and share this vision.
American Promise does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org