Virginia Democracy Day 2023
- This event has passed.
January 24 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm EST
Please join the Virginia chapter of American Promise on January 24th at the Virginia state capitol (in Richmond, VA) for a day of activities in support of good governance policy!
Virginians overwhelmingly support good governance reforms. In fact, 78% of Virginians are in favor of reducing money from big campaign donors, according to a poll conducted by the non-partisan Wason Center in late 2021. Majorities of Virginians also support creating contribution limits, strengthening disclosure, ranked choice voting, and restricting the personal use of campaign funds. Despite the popularity of these issues, we’ve seen almost no legislative movement on these issues in Virginia for several decades. We’re showing up on January 24, 2023 to make sure this year is different! It’s time legislators made these issues a priority.
Day of Activities:
- 7:30AM – Meet at the Suntrust (Truist) building for a quick breakfast and to pick up a sign!
- 8AM – Rally at the Bell Tower in Capitol Square. It’s time that legislators take notice of these issues.
- 8:30AM – A press conference will be held with legislators to announce our legislative priorities.
- 9AM – Noon – Attendees will be encouraged to attend committee meetings and testify to relevant legislation. (We’ll help you prepare!)
- 11AM – Lunch will be provided in the Suntrust (Truist) building.
- Noon – Attendees will be introduced by legislators in the gallery of the House and Senate.
- 1PM – 5PM – Attendees will be encouraged to speak with their legislators on the issues. (We’ll also help you prepare for this!) Simultaneously, workshops/talks will be hosted by our various partners in the Suntrust (Truist) building to educate our attendees on the issues.