Join our dynamic, growing team! Together we are inspiring, empowering, and uniting Americans across the political spectrum to build a healthy democracy and lasting American republic. Contribute your passion, skills, and experience to our historic effort to amend the US Constitution to ensure equal opportunity and representation for all American people, not just the wealthy few.
As a nation, we are at a crossroads. The impact of COVID-19 on Americans throws into stark relief our systems level failures and the need for large scale reform to give all Americans the right to be heard and represented, regardless of wealth. The recent spotlight on state-sanctioned violence against Black Americans highlights the path that civil society must take right now to end racism in our hearts, minds, communities, and institutions. As an organization, we are committed to achieving our vision while creating a more just and equitable reality in how we operate. Join us and rise to the challenge of creating a more perfect union.
Position: Business Network Manager
Reporting to: Dr. Jessica Hare, Empowerment Director
ABOUT AMERICAN PROMISE
We have a vision of a better America, where everyone’s voice counts. In our vision, every American gets an equal opportunity to shape the life they live; the economy is driven by businesses competing based on the value they create in the marketplace; and the government is accountable to the people it serves.
How do we achieve this vision? By overcoming apathy and division to tackle the biggest issue standing in the way of equal representation. American Promise’s mission is to unite and empower all Americans to build a healthy democracy and lasting American republic through achieving an audacious yet urgent goal: amend the United States Constitution to stop the corrupting influence of money in our political system.
We empower people in all 50 states to connect, learn, act, and lead efforts to mobilize their districts, states and networks to ensure we pass this amendment. By working together—across party lines and town limits—we can realize our vision.
From a start-up, to an agile team, to a national cross-partisan force, American Promise is continuing to grow this remarkable movement and expand our team’s capacity. We seek a Business Network Manager who can build partnerships with established business groups and networks, secure public support and participation from within the business community, and provide business leaders with the inspiration, strategy, and tools to advocate for the 28th Amendment. Are you good with people and have established connections with leaders in the business community? Are you a go-getter who always takes initiative? Can you manage collaborations in a dynamic ecosystem of economic and civic reform groups? Do you know how to mobilize busy people to take effective action? If yes, then read on!
The Business Network Manager is an exciting, highly visible role within the organization and Empowerment Department. As a whole, the Empowerment Department exists to ensure every American who shares our vision can join our mission and take action to achieve our goal. As the Business Network Manager you work directly with members of the business community, connecting them with information, resources, and activities to empower their advocacy. With an eye towards maximizing impact and scalability, you evaluate, improve, create and execute programming that engages, connects, and empowers business leaders to find their voices and take effective action to advance the Amendment. Working collaboratively with all departments, you ensure programming enables business leaders to use their voices, positions of influence, and connections to build awareness and political will with their peers and elected officials. The position is full-time, 40-hours per week, with occasional nights and weekends. Travel to various states can be expected.
- Strengthen a culture of shared commitment, accountability, and dedication to cross-partisanship, diversity, and volunteer empowerment
- Public speaking to build awareness about the effect of political spending on representation, discourse, policy, the economy, businesses, and business leaders, and the role of an amendment in addressing the issues
- Grow membership, advocacy, and leadership within the business network in alignment with targeted districts and states
- Engage and build relationships with business groups and networks through in person, virtual, phone, and email interactions, with the goal of developing and leveraging allyships for national and local communications, events, and actions
- Facilitate meetings, interview supporters, and moderate panels, enabling participants to strengthen and share their perspectives and motivations for advocating for the amendment
- Strategize on how to best leverage individual members’ talents, interests, and networks to advance the amendment
- Ensure programming, processes, and resources enable business leaders to learn, engage, and become empowered advocates who can sustain action, expand network membership, take on leadership roles, and work effectively and efficiently with one another to advance the amendment
- Work with American Promise’s Political team to ensure network programming strengthens the connection and effectiveness of business leaders, groups, and networks with state legislatures, legislative and ballot initiatives, Congressional representatives, staff, and committees
- Collaborate with Communications staff to build awareness and feedback loops from network activity
- Analyze and collect data on the effectiveness and efficiency of the program against strategic goals and recommend and implement improvements
- Identify and recruit partners and members to speak and participate at events and conferences in DC
- Demonstrate a sincere passion for the American Promise vision, mission, and goal
- Able to speak clearly about the effect of political spending on our democracy and policies, especially as it relates to the economy, corporate practices, industry regulations, and the impact on American businesses, business leaders and employees
- Able to listen closely and craft requests and opportunities that spark commitment and energize leadership within the National Business Network
- Able to identify and create opportunities to connect networks and groups, using strong abilities to adapt framing and terminology to each group
- Highly skilled at facilitating, partnering with, and outreach to mid- and senior-level business executives and thought leaders
- Existing warm connections with the leaders and members of national and state-based business associations, groups, schools, and networks
- Highly skilled with public speaking, moderating, and facilitating conversations that inspires others to take action
- Experience with creating programming and facilitating meetings that connect and motivate people with different interests and skills to commit to action, collaboration, and leadership
- Demonstrate commitment to the values of empowerment, positivity, courage, grit, respect, candor, and cross-partisanship
- Demonstrate integrity, the ability to self assess, a commitment to learning, cultural competence and sensitivity, and a sense of humor
- Relatable and enjoys interacting with others, has the ability to stimulate conversation and leave a positive impression
- Comfortable with leading and making decisions that best represents the mission and positively reflects the feelings of the group as a whole.
- Preferred: Is bilingual or multilingual with the ability to read, write, and speak in English
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- $65k, commensurate with experience
- Professional development opportunities
- Health insurance (medical)
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for pre-tax transit, health and dependent care benefits
- Paid two-weeks vacation (three after one year), 12 holidays, and personal/sick days
- Flexible schedule
- Passionate, sociable, and inclusive work environment
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Dr. Jessica Hare at [email protected]
American Promise celebrates the diversity of our nation and seeks to build a team and a movement that reflects that diversity. We welcome all qualified applicants who share this vision. Applicants from marginalized and underrepresented communities or applicants that speak another language in addition to English are strongly encouraged to apply.