October 14 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm UTC-6
PAY-TO-PLAY POLITICS & THE MONEY ARMS RACE:
A “CONSTITUTIONAL MOMENT” TO RESTORE SANITY?
In today’s America, free enterprise is too often replaced by “pay-to-play,” where firms and special interests use political spending to compete for favors. Business leaders feel pressure to compete in the political money arms race, and lawmakers are forced to spend 30-70% of their time fundraising. This system of political finance has produced crony capitalism that undermines the real drivers of economic growth and corrupts our representative democracy.
In this program we’ll consider whether two constitutional amendments – one to address big money in politics, the other to set term limits for members of Congress – might restore sanity to our political system, strengthen the free-enterprise economy, and make government more accountable to the people it serves.
Funding is generously provided by the Dallas-based Hatton W. Sumners Foundation. This program has been approved by the State Bar of Texas for 1 hour of CLE credit (course #174132590).
- October 14
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
- Park City Club, 5956 Sherry Ln #1700, Dallas, TX 75225
- Tickets: $35 per person
- Self-parking in building garage included
What to expect:
- Join us for a conversation with business and political leaders about whether a “grand bargain” between Republicans and Democrats to pass and ratify these two amendments is necessary to preserve freedom, opportunity, and effective self-government.
- We aim to build awareness of the ways unlimited, unaccountable, and concentrated money in our political system creates dysfunction and political polarization, and to consider an amendment to the U.S. Constitution as the appropriate remedy.
- John Wass, Corporate executive, entrepreneur, and American Promise Board Chair
- Ann Ravel, former Federal Elections Commissioner and member of the Berkeley Law faculty
- Jeff Clements, American Promise President and former Assistant Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Tom Leppert, Former Dallas Mayor and candidate for U.S. Senate
- Take Back Our Republic
- Meritocracy Avenue
- Dallas Jewish Conservatives
- Ladies of Liberty Texas Federated Republican Women’s Club
- Patriot Movement of Texas
- Clean Elections Texas
Register for Event
American Promise: Dallas, Texas - October Luncheon
"*" indicates required fields