- This event has passed.
October 1, 2021 @ 7:00 pm EDT
As Virginia citizens push for campaign finance reform, both federally and in our Commonwealth, let’s hear from national and state level experts on the the pitfalls and opportunities to pass campaign finance legislation at the state level.
Organized by the VA Chapter of American Promise, and co-sponsored by VAOurWay, participants in this panel include: Trevor Potter, Director of the Campaign Legal Center and ex-commissioner for the Federal Elections Commission and Senator Jeff Golden from Oregon. Senator Golden is one of the sponsors of a limitations bill which was introduced in the Oregon Legislature this year. It died even after a citizen referendum passed last year in November supporting limitations. Austin Graham, lawyer from CFC will also participate and discuss recent campaign finance legislation at the state level and legal challenges that such efforts have faced. Virginia participants include a Virginia legislator and Nancy Morgan, the coordinator of the VA Chapter of American Promise and moderator of the discussion.
During this discussion, our participants will:
• Explore links between Federal and state legislation on campaign finance, including the need for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution allowing Congress and the states to regulate election spending.
• Review state-level challenges of passing campaign finance reform.
• Expand understanding of status of campaign finance reform in Virginia.
• Review on-going state legislation on campaign finance and some of the legal challenges facing them
• Identify entry points for advocacy engagement by state and national groups