About American Promise
American Promise is leading a fast-growing, service-oriented national campaign to pass and ratify the For Our Freedom Amendment to the United States Constitution. The amendment is intended to repair the relationship between elected representatives and their constituents by empowering Congress and the States to reduce the influence of money in politics – now a top issue for nearly all Americans, regardless of party or political preference. American Promise is expanding its proven state-based strategy to unite Americans to solve this urgent crisis.
The For Our Freedom Amendment will:
- strengthen free speech rights for all Americans;
- protect elections from foreign influence and systemic corruption;
- restore the relationship of elected representatives to their constituents and the needs of their States and districts;
- strengthen federalism by enabling the States to decide what works best and;
- reverse the collapse in civic trust that is eroding our freedom.
Our staff, board, Advisory Council, thousands of supporters and millions of Americans who have participated in American Promise campaigns come from across the political spectrum. We are Republicans, Democrats, and Independents; Navy Admirals, Army Colonels, and combat veterans; experienced politicians from both major parties who have served in the Senate, the House, as Governor, and State legislators; faith and civic and business leaders; rising generation leaders who are tired of our broken system; law professors, former U.S. and State Supreme Court Justices, experienced lawyers; and ordinary citizens.
Our strategy focuses on building deep, cross-partisan support in the States. We will then leverage that support to earn the required two-thirds vote in Congress and subsequent ratification in three-quarters of the States. To date, 22 States and nearly 1,000 cities, counties, and towns have enacted resolutions calling on Congress to propose the amendment and return it to the States for ratification.
American Promise seeks an experienced, strategic professional to serve as a Director of State Campaigns. We are currently in the process of hiring State Managers for key states across the country. As the Director of State Campaigns, you will manage, support, and train those local State Managers, who in turn will be overseeing the operations and activity in their states. Additionally, you will be responsible for acting as campaign liaison and consultant for states where there are volunteer or coalition efforts underway but no State Manager or other state-based American Promise staff.
We are seeking to hire two (2) Directors of State Campaigns immediately, with a plan to hire two more in the coming years as we continue to grow our operations. Each Director of State Campaigns will have his or her own portfolio of states to oversee.
This will be a multi-year effort, with a focus on securing candidate pledges up and down the ballot in 2024, and then leveraging those pledges in a legislative campaign in 2025.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator and advocate, has deep experience in political campaigns and/or issue advocacy, and has a passionate commitment to the mission, values, and objectives of American Promise.
This is an incredible opportunity to make history at a critical time for America.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Manage, support, and train the local State Managers who are charged with developing and executing multi-year campaign plans to get their state “ready to ratify” the For Our Freedom Amendment
- Work with State Managers to help develop the state budget and ensure compliance with it
- Act as campaign liaison and consultant for states where there are volunteer or coalition efforts underway but no State Managers or other state-based American Promise staff
- Hire and supervise new State Managers as American Promise expands operations
- Act as liaison between state staff and national staff to ensure strategic alignment
Key Qualifications and Attributes
- A passionate commitment to the American Promise mission, goal, and values
- 10+ years of related, progressively responsible work experience
- Superb interpersonal skills, with a history of forging strong relationships with staff and stakeholders
- Strategic planning skills, including an understanding of communications, political, and policy elements and the ability to develop multi-year plans
- Ability to track and report data in a timely, consistent, and accurate manner
- Great organizational and time management skills, with strong attention to detail
- Excellent political acumen and judgment
- Track record of working successfully with elected officials, voters, and coalition partners from both political parties and differing ideologies
- Collaborative leadership style and commitment to teamwork
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Integrity, excellent judgment, leadership, adaptability, and reliability
- Access to a vehicle, valid driver’s license, and cell phone
- Willingness to work nights and weekends (as necessary)
Compensation and Benefits
- This position is paying $110,000 annually
- This position is full-time.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Health insurance (medical/dental/vision).
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for pre-tax health and dependent care benefits.
- Paid 4 weeks vacation, 13 holidays, and personal/sick days.
- Passionate, inclusive, and collaborative work environment.
American Promise staff are located all over the country. This position is remote.
To apply for this position, submit a resume and cover letter online at email@example.com. Please put “Director of State Campaigns” in the subject line. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
American Promise celebrates the freedom and diversity of our nation. American Promise team members are service-oriented and have demonstrated experience in military, civic, or other forms of service to the country and our people. We welcome all qualified applicants who reflect and share this vision.
American Promise does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org