The For Our Freedom Amendment is the necessary and right constitutional solution.
American Promise unites Americans to win the For Our Freedom Amendment to secure elections and government for we the people—not big money, not corporations, not unions, not shadowy super PACs and special interests.
The For Our Freedom Amendment:
- Protects free speech and the voice of all Americans and ends the domination of our elections and corruption of our representative government by dark money and elite donors.
- Has overwhelming support from Americans of every political viewpoint
- Offers lasting reform and breaks the two-party incumbent-favoring big money system that locks out competition, choice, and progress for the nation. .
- Is the lasting, constitutional method for rebuilding checks and balances, federalism and local freedom against global money nationalizing every election and dividing America.
- Frees business from pay-to-pay politics and unfair competition from big global corporations that are spending millions of dollars to buy political influence that destroys the level playing field.
“As an average American, it is nearly impossible to compete with billionaires, but what they can’t buy with money is the deep love and passion we feel for the outdoors, our unique states and communities, and the freedom our Constitution guarantees.”
DAVID TRAHAN, Logger; Executive Director, Maine Sportsman’s Alliance; Former Maine State Senator; American Promise Advisory Council Member; Waldoboro, ME
For Our Freedom Amendment FAQ
No. Americans from every walk of life and on both sides of the political aisle support the movement to end big money in politics. Our nationwide chapters and advisory board include conservatives, liberals and everyone in between. Meet our advisory council.
Several versions of this kind of constitutional amendment have been introduced in Congress and support is growing. We are building support in the states and in Congress so we make sure the constitutional amendment has the best language and support from Republicans, Democrats and Independents in Congress. The Constitution is not for one party or the other but for all of us. Following a multi-year nationwide engagement with Americans and experts in every region of the country, we think this text of the amendment is very good. If you want, let us know what you think with this survey.
When things are this broken, we need a constitutional solution. The elite donors and special interests have so much power over our elections and government because over the years, the Supreme Court made a series of mistakes that rewrote the First Amendment to say that unlimited money is free speech, no matter where it comes from, and Americans no longer have the freedom to implement sound anti-corruption laws.
A constitutional amendment is necessary to repair and strengthen the First Amendment so all Americans have a voice in our elections. It respects the Court’s role in our republic, but reminds us all that in America, the people have the last word on the Constitution and our freedom.
Yes. The For Our Freedom Amendment unites America. Three out of four Americans support it. Already, more than 20 states 800 cities and towns have passed resolutions formally calling for the Amendment. And historically in America, constitutional amendments happen in divided, dangerous times.