The legally granted right to unchecked political spending by corporations, unions, special interest groups, and wealthy individuals is silencing the voices of citizens and corrupting our ability to freely and fairly elect a representative government of, by, and for the people.
A healthy, just, and lasting American republic, in which Constitutional rights for human beings are secure, and all citizens are equal, with the right and the responsibility to govern effectively together.
We envision an America where…
- Our representatives are elected and re-elected based on the merit of their ideas and their performance in the eyes of voters—not who can raise the most money from wealthy donors and special interest groups.
- Our elected officials’ choices represent the will of their constituents—not the financial interests of those who fund their election campaigns.
- The candidates who get the most votes are the ones who win elections, without manipulation through partisan gerrymandering, voter suppression or other political maneuvers.
- Political campaigns focus on issues that matter to people, where debate is civil, and where political advertising is not funded by dark money groups without the knowledge of voters.
American Promise exists to empower, inspire, and organize Americans to win the 28th Amendment to the Constitution.
This lasting reform will re-balance our politics and government by putting the rights of individual citizens before the privileges of concentrated money, corporations, unions, political parties, and superPACs.
We are executing a three-prong strategy to win ratification of the 28th Amendment by
- Amplifying Action: Our distributed, decentralized model supports, connects and amplifies cross-partisan local action by Americans all over the country, driven by our national Citizen UpRising and Civic Courage programming and our acclaimed National Citizen Leadership Conference;
- Building Consensus: We build national, cross-partisan consensus and determination, vetting and driving forward specific, effective language of the 28th Amendment with our Writing the 28th Amendment program and inviting all Americans into the process; and
- Holding Elected Officials Accountable: We hold federal, state, and local elected representatives accountable to ensure that they represent the will of the people for foundational reform through the 28th Amendment, rather than do the bidding of big donors and special interests.
Together, this three-prong strategy is building the super-majority support in Congress and throughout the country to pass and ratify the 28th Amendment and renew the American promise of human liberty, equal citizenship, and effective self-government.